William Turner 1508-1568 graduate
of Pembroke College Cambridge, shown here, was Chaplain and Physician to Edward Seymour 1506-1552 the Lord Protector and first
Duke of Somerset. A botanist and keen gardener, he helped Seymour establish a physic garden at Syon near Kew where we see
the work being carried out in the MIDDLE PICTURE. Later he became the Dean of Wells cathedral in Somerset but was
driven from the living for non-conformity. He moved back to London, retired and set up his own gardens at Kew and Crutched
Friars. He is said to have introduced into this country Lucerne, which he called Horned Clover.
John Gerard 1545-1612 famous
for his Herbal, was a botanist herbalist who, until 1604 was curator of a physic garden established in Knightrider
Street in London by the College of Physicians. He then took up an appointment as a Doctor and herbalist to James 1st. and
Queen Anne. Here he is shown holding a barbers pole and plate for he was the Master of the Barber Surgeons Company in London
in 1607. In his left hand he holds the Lesser Skullcap, Scutellaria minor which he named as a species of Hyssop,
an exciting find, the first recorded in England. He discovered it on an expedition he made with the Lord Mayor of London Sir
John Hart in 1590 to view progress on the digging of springs at Highgate Ponds near Hampstead, to improve London’s water
supply by running conduits down into the City. In the background is the entrance to the Flask Tavern, still a favourite watering
hole in Highgate Village today.
A. Pruning knife B. Slicing Knife